Friday, January 4, 2013

Final Project Results

For my project, I created a survey asking people:
1. Age?
2. Gender?
3. Which social networking sites do you use?
4. How much time do you spend on social networking websites each day?
5. For what purposes do you use social networking websites?
6. What types of information do you post on social networking websites?
7. How many people do you know who DO NOT use social networking websites?
8. How strongly do you rely on social networking?
9. How do you feel about colleges and employers using social networking as another factor in their decision-making process?
10. How do you see social networking's influence in 10 years?
In total, 58 people responded. Out of these people, 11 were boys and 47 were girls. Three people were between ages 11-15, 43 were between ages 16-22, two were between ages 23-35, nine were between ages 35-55, and one person was over 55. I think that all of these numbers make sense, because I imagine that a lot of the people who took my survey were girls I know from school. But, I did try expanding the range of people I surveyed by having both of my parents post the survey on their websites, and posting it on my Tumblr.
I found that only one person uses MySpace, one uses Foursquare, 36 use Twitter, 53 use Facebook, 28 use Instagram, 10 people use Pinterest (none of which were male), 33 use Tumblr, and four use LinkedIn.
13 people use social networking for 1-2 hours per day, only three use it for 15-30 minutes, 16 use it for 2-4 hours, 10 use it for 30-60 minutes, and 13 use it for more that 4 hours, and the rest use it for under 30 minutes.
For my final project, I plan to look at how different demographics responded to each of these questions (i.e. How no males use Pinterest and how most people who spent extensive time on the Internet were younger).
And this is the link to my survey: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFBDRzZsajY3bkx3OWFQOXdRdTRGMGc6MQ#gid=0
This is the link to my full results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ap3bIUELaTHmdFBDRzZsajY3bkx3OWFQOXdRdTRGMGc#gid=0

No comments:

Post a Comment