Friday, October 12, 2012

People's Friendships with Facebook are Hurting

In history class, we were given the September 3, 2012 issue of The New York Times: Upfront magazine, in which I found an article by Veronica Majerol entitled "Unfriending Facebook." While it concedes that the social networking site has undoubtedly "revolutionized" the way people keep in touch with friends, it also questions whether or not it is becoming a passing trend. Apparently, more than 50% of Americans think it is. Further proving why, the rate of new users joining is slowing, from 39% in 2010 to 6% in 2012.

Not only are fewer people joining Facebook than ever before, but more people are logging off. There is a variety of reasons for this, the two main ones being lack of privacy and lack of time. The article cites a situation where one boy posted his new car on Facebook, and people he wasn't even connected to on the site asked him about it when they saw him on campus. Another girl just said that she would prefer not to see the "banter about things like what people were eating for lunch," and instead has better ways to spend her time.

I found this article interesting because I feel the same way as the people in this article, but at the same time don't know if I will be able to "quit Facebook," too. Admittedly, I'm not sure how I would communicate with other students about homework whose numbers I don't have, how I will get the pictures people take of me without being tagged in them, or stay in contact with the people I live far away from. Facebook actually is essential to my life in these respects. But what do you think? Is Facebook quickly becoming unpopular? And if so, are you willing to delete yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment